BEST DIAPER BAG FOR TRAVELING FAMILIES
As parents, we all know having the right diaper bag is a big deal. You want it to be practical, stylish, functional, cool (for dads), and comfortable.
People think the diaper bag is about the kids when it is all about the parents. Finding the best travel diaper bag is like having the perfect travel purse. It needs to fit your needs, style, and be functional.
All of their stuff is inside, but we get the pleasure of lugging it around, shouldn’t it be something you love?
Finding the perfect diaper bag can be challenging, especially if you are looking for the best diaper bag for traveling. There are so many options your head will explode.
Don’t worry we got you covered with this guide for the best travel diaper bags. We have researched and found the overall best diaper bags for travel for every occasion.
Disclosure: “Please note that some of the links below may be affiliate links, and at no additional cost to you, I earn a commission if you make a purchase. Click here for the full disclosure statement.”
We are all about finding the best baby gear at an affordable price. Why spend $200 when you can spend $50.
The products we recommend are based on affordability and practicality. We are here to help a mama (or papa) out with making your lives easier, so you can enjoy the things you love. Check out our best diaper bags for travel for any family or budget.
Quick Look – Our top travel diaper bags:
- Our Favorite Overall Travel Diaper Bag: HaloVa Travel Diaper Bag
- Best Lightweight Travel Diaper Bag: KeaBabies Diaper Bag Backpack
- Travel Diaper Bag for Dads: HSD Diaper Bag Backpack for Dad
- Best Multi-Purpose Diaper Bag: Confachi Convertible Baby Diaper Bag
- Best Travel Diaper Bag for Multiples: Hafmall Diaper Bag Backpack
- Best Fashionable Travel Diaper Bag: CLUCI Women Backpack Purse Diaper Bag
- Messenger Travel Diaper Bag: Skip Hop Messenger Diaper Bag
- Best Tote Travel Diaper Bag: SoHo Collection Tote Diaper Bag
What Travel Diaper Bag do we Use?
My wife has been dropping hints the last few months, so we recently purchased a new travel diaper bag.
We moved from the Halova Travel Bag to the Skip Hop Travel Diaper Bag. There are a few different reasons for the change. Fortunately, none of them are related to the quality of our previous diaper bag.
BEST TRAVEL DIAPER BAG COMPARISON TABLE (BACKPACKS)
HaloVa Diaper Bag
- Backpack & Tote 2 in 1, 24L Large Capacity, 1.4lb Lightweight.
- Has all the space & pockets you need for baby and mommy supplies.
- Waterproof & durable oxford fabric, no-odor, load up to 40lbs.
The HaloVa Travel Diaper Bag is our choice for the best overall travel diaper bag because of the design, space, functional pockets, hidden pocket, and bottom opening. This is the diaper bag that we used to travel with our toddler.
This travel diaper bag checked all of the important boxes when we were looking for the perfect travel diaper bag. My favorite thing about this diaper bag is the large opening, making it easy to see everything inside.
We can easily pack clothes, toys, diapers, and snacks. Plus, it makes it easier to get through TSA with our toddler because they always have to check our diaper bag. They can quickly get to anything without us having to repack everything.
A few of the drawbacks for me are the shoulder straps and lack of stroller straps. There isn’t much padding on the shoulders, so after a while, it does get a little uncomfortable.
Another drawback is the lack of stroller straps for when we want to hang the bag on our stroller. It isn’t a huge deal, but it would be nice if shoulder straps were included.
- Quick access from the back of the diaper bag
- Opens wide to access items
- Easy side pocket to access wipes
- Anti-theft pocket
- Insulated front pockets
- 2-year replacement warranty
- Should straps uncomfortable after a long time
- No stroller straps included
- Not many pockets for organization
KeaBabies Diaper Bag Backpack
- Extra Storage Capacity – KeaBabies Explorer Diaper Backpack offers perfectly spacious storage for your family outings. Sized at 11.5" (L) x 6" (W) x 17" (H), it can fit the essentials of two kids.
The KeaBabies Diaper Bag Backpack is the lightest travel diaper bag on our list. Do not let the weight fool you. This travel diaper bag can fit a lot of baby items without weighing you down. When we were looking for our travel diaper bag, this one was a close second.
This travel diaper bag is water-resistant, has a diaper changing compartment, has cushion back support, and includes a free changing mat. If you like having a lot of pockets, this is the perfect travel bag for you.
The diaper changing compartment is perfect for traveling families with a baby. There is enough room for six diapers, two changes of clothes, and a pocket for diaper cream.
Since this travel diaper bag is unisex, there aren’t many color options. Also, some moms mention it is too wide for smaller frame women. Overall, this is a solid diaper bag for travel.
- The lightest travel diaper bag
- Quick and easy access for diaper changes
- Includes free changing mat
- Stroller hooks
- Water-resistant material
- Large back storage space
- Diaper bag is a little wide
- Few color options
HSD Diaper Bag Backpack for Dad
- NO MORE STRUGGLING IN ORGANIZING: Organize your little one's items perfectly without any trouble with our HSD diaper bag backpacks as the lay-flat, no-dig design helps you to organize and find the products easily from the bag.
- DURABLE AND COMFORTABLE DESIGN: Our HSD diaper bags are made from military-grade material for high durability with breathable mesh foam back padding for better airflow and comfort while carrying over long periods of time for parents
- WITH MORE POCKETS FOR EASY ORGANIZATION: This diaper bag has FOUR pockets such as a baby wipe pocket, a bottom outside pocket, two insulated side pockets, with THREE interior hooks for attaching key chains or accessories. Food and beverages stay warmer/ colder for longer with our 2 fully-enclosed bottle pockets.
If you are looking for a cool diaper bag for dad look no further than the HSD Diaper Bag Backpack for Dad. It is designed by dads for dads and even looks like a hiking backpack instead of a diaper bag.
If you are looking for something masculine for the guy in your life this is it. Since this diaper bag resembles a rucksack (military backpack), it is one of the most expensive travel bags on our list.
What sets it apart from the other diaper bags on our list is the capacity and pockets. There is enough space for several kids if you have multiple little ones. This isn’t just a diaper bag, you can use this backpack for almost anything.
There is a changing mat and stroller straps included with the purchase of this diaper bag. After reading through several thousand reviews the only complaint is how heavy the backpack gets when it is full, which is somewhat expected.
Honestly, this is the perfect diaper bag for dads on the go. Plus, a bonus is the lifetime warranty, so if you run into any problems call customer service for a replacement.
- Cool dad military design and color option
- A lot of pockets to fit a lot of stuff
- Includes a free diaper changing mat
- Waterproof material
- Stroller straps are included
- Lifetime warranty for rugged dads
- Very expensive
- Uncomfortable when full
- Can get bulky
Skip Hop Diaper Bag Backpack
- Who has time to hunt through your jam-packed bag for diapers, snacks and other necessities? Not the busy moms we know
- Our Mainframe Wide Open Diaper Backpack makes it easy to access everything that's packed inside thanks to a structured frame that opens wide—and stays put—for a clear view
We recently purchased the Skip Hop Diaper Bag Backpack, now that our son is 2-years-old we decided to transition our diaper bag. Although we’ve only had this diaper bag for a few weeks it is a winner.
Skip Hop is a well-known brand that provides everything that moms, babies, or toddlers need to make their life easier. This travel diaper bag is fashionable yet functional for moms wanting to add a little style to their diaper bag.
There are stroller straps build into the bag, so there is no need to keep track of extra pieces. The main compartment is large and opens wide, so you can see everything inside the bag without digging to the bottom.
One thing that I do not like about this diaper bag is the lack of padding on the shoulder straps. Although this didn’t deter us from buying, it would be nice if it were more comfortable for long term wear.
- Cell phone pocket
- Stroller straps included
- Opens wide for easy access
- Shoulder straps aren;t cushioned
- Bag wider than other diaper bags
Eddie Bauer Places & Spaces Bridgeport Diaper Bag Backpack
- Exceptional organization with 11 pockets including 2 exterior insulated bottle pockets; secure zippered pocket and top flap opening offer quick access to personal belongings
The Eddie Bauer Places & Spaces Diaper Bag is an affordable alternative option for dads. This travel diaper bag is not as expensive as the other dad diaper bag, but it is just as functional.
There are a lot of pockets to fit anything you need. The quick pockets on the front of the bag are the perfect place to store sunscreen, diaper cream, extra diapers, or even passports.
My favorite part of this bag is the dedicated pocket for wipes. There is no need to rummage through the bag to get what you need, so quick access is important with a little one in tow.
One of the drawbacks of this type of bag is the lack of visibility. There are a lot of pockets for organization, but it can be hard to get what you need at the bottom of the bag.
Also, there is only one insulated pocket compared to the other travel diaper bags on our list. This may be a setback for some, but if you are looking for a diaper bag that can be used by mom or dad then this may fit the bill.
- A lot of pockets
- Unisex for mom and dad
- Seperate pocket for wipes
- Insulated pockets for milk or snacks
- Only one color option
- Stroller loops, but no straps included
- Only one insulated pocket
Hafmall Diaper Bag Backpack
- Durable Diaper Backpack: This is a lightweight diaper bag (dimendsion, 10.6"x8.2"x16.5" ) and it comes with stroller hooks. It is made of water-resistant/tear-resistance polyester, with smoothly & strong zippers, which means you can easy to clean for leaking bottles or sippys, and it will be last for years.
The Hafmall Diaper Bag Backpack is one of our favorite travel diaper bags because of its capacity. You can fit so much in this diaper bag, you can consider it a carry on.
The color combinations can complement and express your style. Although dad can wear this diaper bag, it is a hit with moms.
This bag has a lot of great features, which include a wet/dry pocket, anti-theft pocket, utensil pocket, and a pocket for wipes. For families with a lot to store, this travel diaper bag has a lot of capacity to carry anything you need.
There are a few things that I wish were adjusted to make this the perfect diaper bag for traveling families. It would be nice if the shoulder straps were more padded, and if the insulated pockets were larger.
Overall, this is one of the best travel diaper bags on our list. It checks most of the boxes when looking for the best diaper bag for a traveling family.
- Stroller hooks are included
- Bottle pockets inside and outside/li>
- Hidden pocket
- Wet/Dry pocket
- Utensil pockets
- No shoulder padding
- Small insulated bottle pockets
OTHER TRAVEL DIAPER BAG STYLES COMPARISON TABLE
CLUCI Backpack Purse Travel Diaper Bag
- [HIGH-QUALITY MATERIAL]: Warm Tip: The long shoulder strap is made of canvas, If you don't receive a detachable shoulder strap, please contact us by email. This women backpack purse is made of high quality water resistant soft PU leather, metal accessories and fabric lining, which is fashionable and durable.
If you are looking for a more fashionable travel diaper bag the CLUCI Women Backpack Purse is perfect. It looks like a purse but has everything you need to use as a cute travel diaper bag.
This bag has different colors, so you can show your personality and impress while on the go with your baby. There aren’t insulated pockets for bottles, but plenty of room for other items inside.
The back opening lets you quickly access anything needed. There is a side pocket for wipes or a bottle when needed.
I like the anti-theft design. It puts your mind at ease because items can only be accessed from the back.
- Anti-theft design (great for traveling)
- Quick and easy access
- A lot of color options
- Can be small
- There are few pockets for organizing items
- Uncomfortable (long-term)
- Thin shoulder straps
Confachi 4-in-1 Convertible Baby Diaper Bag
The Confachi 4-in-1 Convertible Baby Diaper Bag is the only bag on our list that turns into a baby bassinet. If you plan to travel with a baby this can be helpful if you do not want to co-sleep.
It can also be used as a changing table if you do not want your little one to touch changing tables in restrooms. As if this isn’t enough there is a toy bar included, keeping your little one entertained while laying in their bassinet.
The major drawback is this diaper bag will only be functional as long as your baby can fit in the bassinet. As your baby grows into a toddler, this may not be the best option for traveling with a toddler.
Also, there aren’t many color options. For those looking for unique colors this bag may not be the best choice.
If you are looking for a diaper bag that can double as a bassinet while traveling, then this may be the best travel diaper bag for you.
- Includes lots of accessories
- Diaper bag becomes a baby bassinet and changing table
- Can be carried several different ways
- Lifetime warranty
- Can’t open wide to see everything in the bag
- Few color options
- Cannot fit a lot of items
- Limited time use (baby can outgrow quickly)
Skip Hop Messenger Diaper Bag
- The updated Duo Signature boasts a bevy of new features that moms and dads have requested: zip-top closure ensures belongings stay securely in the diaper bag, tote handles for versatility and an easy-access tech pocket.
SoHo Collection Diaper Bag
- 7-PIECE COMPLETE SET - Includes (1) diaper bag, (2) personal purse w carrying strap, (3) changing pad, (4) accessories bag, (5) organizer bag w mesh top, (6) insulated bottle bag, (7) stroller straps
The SoHo Diaper Bag is one of the most popular tote style diaper bags for moms that like to travel. Many parents love the extra accessories this diaper bag comes with.
- Wide opening to see inside
- Comes with a lot of accessories
- Pockets for organization
- Heavy-duty zipper
- 12-month warranty
- Doesn’t include shoulder strap
- Insulated pockets are inside the bag
HOW TO CHOOSE THE BEST TRAVEL DIAPER BAG
The best diaper bags for travel are spacious, comfortable, has pockets for organization, are accessible, and ideally include a few extra accessories. All of these factors are what we used to determine the best diaper bag for families that love to travel.
Accessibility is essential, especially with a cranky baby or toddler. The best diaper bags for travel make it easy to get to the things you need.
Plus, being able to see everything inside will get you through TSA a lot faster. If your bag gets pulled for inspection seeing everything inside the bag won’t require you to repack everything.
If you depend on breastmilk to feed your little one, insulated pockets are essential. Keep in mind, many of the insulated pockets are made to fit standard bottles.
Standard bottles are more thin, like the Dr. Brown brand. Again, if you use wider bottles (like we did), check the size of the insulated pockets before purchasing.
Eventually, your baby will become a toddler, so your needs may change. Once your little one becomes a toddler, insulated pockets may no longer be needed.
If you plan to use them as your kiddo grows, you might want to check if they are large enough to fit a sippy cup.
Easy to Clean
We all know as parents that unexpected things happen. There are spills or smashed snacks inside your bag. Plus, diaper bags take a lot of abuse (or maybe it’s just our diaper bags).
Having a diaper bag this is easy to clean takes the frustration our of the equation. Ideally, all you need to do is wipe the inside with a damp cloth and you are on your way.
Remember, if you are using s fashion purse to double as your diaper bag be sure it can withstand accidents. This includes spilled milk, spit-up, and crushed snacks.
Depending on your preference there are a lot of different styles you can use for a travel diaper bag.
- Messenger –
- Backpack –
- Tote –
Although accessories aren’t important, they are nice to have if you can get them included. The accessories that matter the most will depend on the age of your little one.
For families with babies, a changing mat is an added bonus. No one wants to put their newborn baby on the nasty changing table in restrooms.
If you have a toddler, stroller hooks may be more important to you. I will be the first to say stroller hooks are awesome. We use them all the time for long walks or a day of exploring.
The material shouldn’t be a huge concern because most diaper bags should be water-resistant.
Be sure to double-check that the diaper bag is water-resistant, no one wants their diapers, clothes, or toys to get soak.
ARE BACKPACK DIAPER BAGS BETTER FOR TRAVEL?
In our short travel life over the last year and a half, we have had quite the adventure. We have been to 12 states, 3 countries, flown on 30 flights, and driven 4,000 miles.
Based on our experience, I can tell you without a doubt that the best diaper bags for travel are backpacks.
Backpacks more comfortable to wear, especially if you plan on doing a lot of walking. What makes backpacks one of the best diaper bags for travel is the weight distribution.
When using a backpack style diaper bag, the weight of the diaper bag is distributed evenly across your shoulders, so it makes carrying for long periods easier.
My favorite thing about backpack style diaper bags is the D-rings that make it easy for you to clip on the stroller. Trust us, you will save yourself a lot of frustration and time at the airport by using a backpack diaper bag for travel.
Last update on 2022-07-03 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API